In order to meet the demand of natural gas in the country, as well as to reduce the dependence on imports Government has taken several steps to enhance domestic natural gas production through several policy initiatives such as.
As per British Petroleum (BP) Energy Outlook 2018, India’s natural gas consumption will rise and almost triple by 2040 and projected energy consumption will reach 1921 MTOE by 2040 as the largest growth market for global energy by 2040. The following measures have been taken by Government of India:
- Marginal Field Policy – Discovered Small Field Policy
- Uniform Licensing Policy-Hydrocarbon Exploration and Licensing Policy
- Policy for Grant of Extension to small and medium sized discovered fields
- Policy for Marketing and Pricing freedom for Coal Bed Methane (CBM).
- Government has granted marketing, including pricing, freedom for the gas produced from difficult areas.
- Marketing freedom has also been provided under Discovered Small Field budding rounds as well as under Hydrocarbon Exploration and Licensing Policy (HELP).